17 June 2011

The Next Big Thing

While I was in England I met a few people who’ve read Driftwood and it was great to get comments and feedback, even though most were people I knew, and so were just a little biased! 
The feedback was amazing, and sometimes surprising.  People read and see things through their life experiences and unique filters, and so their take on things was sometimes different to mine, or they saw facets of a character I hadn’t consciously intended, but were there.  Don’t you just love it when that happens?
One friend told me he’d tried reading Driftwood a couple of times but couldn’t get into it.  Not a problem as Driftwood is definitely more of a female storyline, and he lent Driftwood to a couple of female co-workers who did enjoy it.
On writing blogs there are sometimes questions asking what the next big thing is going to be, or what agents are looking for at the moment.
I've never been much good at second-guessing this kind of thing, and however good a book is, or however wonderful the writing might be, it isn’t going to suit everyone.
I think the only thing I can do is be true to myself, and write what I love and enjoy, hoping that others will love it, or at least appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment