05 August 2011

Other Projects

Earlier in the year I participated in a fundraising event for Christchurch.  It took place in libraries across Auckland with groups of authors reading from their work.  It was a great event and for a good cause.  I read from a short story I had written years ago.  I’ve worked on it over the years although it had been a long time since I’d last looked at it.  Obviously the time lapse was good as I could see it needed more than a little tweaking.  Over the past couple of months I’ve found it difficult to get momentum and motivation, and decided I needed to work on something else to get the creative juices flowing again. 
So over the past few weeks I’ve worked on two short stories and used the deadline of submitting to the writers group, and a competition date to get me going.
It has been good working on another project, and one that is smaller in scale than a novel.  At the weekend I met up with the writers group and received good feedback, on what worked and some useful comments for changes. 
While I usually push myself through down periods by continuing to work, on this occasion it has been good to keep writing, but on something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment