14 October 2011

Filming my Script

You’ve got to admit the title looks pretty impressive.  Well okay, maybe not to Peter Jackson.
Unfortunately the film isn’t starring Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio, and it isn't the film of one of my books.  But this week I’ve written a script and watched it being filmed.  Honest.
Which goes to show you can tell the truth, but also make it sound a bit more than it actually is.
I write technical manuals and training materials, and at the moment I’m developing some online training modules.  I was asked to provide a script so we could include some short video scenes on the topic of customer service.
I wrote the script, and yesterday we filmed the scenes at a small studio.
I’ve never written a script before, and even though it wasn’t very long I found it quite different to my usual writing. 
Over the past few weeks I’ve gone through my novel manuscript a couple of times, reading out loud and making some final changes, and once Id written the film script I did the same.  But it’s amazing how different it is listening to someone else reading/speaking your words.  Someone of a different age or sex can make a sentence sound totally different, as can emphasising different words in a sentence.
It’s been an interesting experience, but I don’t think I’ll be changing career paths and launching into writing film scripts anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment