The title of my current WIP has changed a few times. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, titles are something I find difficult. My novels tend to sit for a long time in a folder called Latest, or something similar. Eventually I come up with something that does as a working title, but it generally changes a few more times. My working title has been Ordinary Day for a long time. It fitted because the day in question, as you would expect, is anything but ordinary, but I wasn’t very keen on the connotations of the word ordinary. With a little help from a friend it’s now been changed to Lives Interrupted.
I’ve been working on the points my beta readers mentioned for Lives Interrupted. Generally speaking I overwrite, and when I edited the first draft of the manuscript I cut out about 30,000 words. In my initial culling I probably went a little overboard, and one of the comments was that the readers wanted a little more background on the characters, and also a little physical description.
Lives Interrupted is told from multiple points of view, and I’ve also been working on the POV characters, to make each a stronger individual voice. Last week I read a great post on developing voices. It’s one of the best I’ve seen on this topic.