05 July 2012

Brain Stress

I'm not good at multi-tasking.

I used to say this apologetically, feeling there was something wrong with me, or that I was owning up to some deep dark secret, but now I say it proudly.

Over the past couple of years I've read enough to know that jumping from one activity to another is not necessarily a good habit.

This is an interesting infographic on digital stress and our brains, and what happens to our concentration when we are multi-task - certainly something to take into consideration when the tasks are important.

The suggestions in the What Can Help section aren't new, but I've found implementing similar initiatives has been very useful in helping my productivity.

Limiting the number of times I check email and use the internet, together with completing similar tasks at the same time helps immensely. I've also found the kitchen timer very useful in helping to keep me on track with work. I set it for fifty-five minutes and keep writing until the alarm goes off. I then have a five-minute break to have a drink/snack, stretch, and do something different to keep my inspiration up. Every second or third break (depending on what else is going on), I take a slightly longer break and use it to check emails, or do a group of those similar tasks.

Since doing this I've been a lot more productive when writing, and if you're keen on knowing how productive you are, you can check your word count every hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment