30 March 2012

Goals and Obstacles

Every book needs goals and obstacles, otherwise we'd end up with a story that consisted of Jane and Tom meeting, falling in love and living happily ever after.  Pleasant, but not exactly a gripping read.

In life we don't exactly need obstacles, but they seem to come as part of the life package.  We do, however, need goals.

I've been as busy as I can with reduced computer hours, but I've just realised that since finishing Smart Formatting I've wandered a little in my writing.  I have a vague goal, which is editing the first draft of a novel I finished early last year.  But as the goal is vague you can guess how much work has actually been completed.  In reality the manuscript needs more than editing - it needs a total rewrite.  After finishing the first draft, I realised the story was going in a different direction to the one I had originally planned, and then life and Lives Interrupted took over.  This story has potential, but it needs a lot of work.  I guess I'd better create some SMART goals, and then get working.  I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment